Nothing is more exciting than new markers!!! I feel like a little kid. Canuck Crafts Spectrum Noir Markers has improved and revamped their alcohol markers. I love the little rubber grips and the bigger ink reservoir…. Yet they are still very reasonably priced.
I used these markers to create this great background for my art journal page. I have to confess that I have never taken any formal training in colouring with alcohol markers… I will share my hack way of colouring.
1. I started by stamping this poppy from Stampendous in black Memento ink.
2. I choose 3-5 colours that are in a similar family…from a very light to very dark. I don’t really pay attention too closely to the numbers (though they are great for a beginner). I start by colouring the lightest part of the image with a light colour.
3. I then add a medium colour to the shady areas.
4. I then colour over the whole petals with a colour in between those two colours. This blends the two colours. I have left the really highlighted areas to do later.
5. I then took the darkest colour and use it in a feathery stroke in the shaded areas.
6. I then use the Medium colour over top to blend again. Filling in the rest of the petals and over the shadows. I did warn you this was my hack way…right? This blends everything, but I don’t stress too much about reaching the perfect blend.
7. To create a watercolour like background I start by colouring a section with the blender pen.
8. I then swapped out my background colour’s tip with new brush nib instead of the chisel tip. This also helps to create a paintier look. I coloured around my flowers blending out wards to create a soft shadow. I love the finished effect of this.
This is my finished page. It’s about how I have chosen my one word for this year to be NURTURE. Part of that renewed approach to my life is to art journal more. If you haven’t tried art journaling yet, maybe this is your year?
Visit Canuck Crafts and start colouring today!
To see more of Christy’s work visit here blog – Creating a Life I Love To Share